Review: One Moment by Kristina McBride

By 3:41 PM , ,

This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie's life. Now it's the one she'd do anything to forget.

Maggie remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party. She remembers climbing the trail with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can't she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below-dead?
 
As Maggie's memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?
 
The latest novel from the author of "The Tension of Opposites," "One Moment" is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you

(Synopsis from Goodreads


So, I didn't like this book that much. It was interesting but kind of predictable, and in the "Huh, okay," way not the "OH MY GOD REALLY? DIDN'T THE AUTHOR KNOW THIS HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE! THIS SUCKS!" way. 

By the way, I'm NOT saying this book sucked. It was well written and I enjoyed McBride's style. It just wasn't the book for me.

In the story we start out with Maggie and her group of friends having a blast in a gorge that has a cliff. She never has jumped off a cliff into water before, but the boyfriend (love of her life though she never got to tell him), Joey, convinces her that they'll do it together. Next thing you know, she didn't jump; he did and he died.

When I read that part I thought I missed something so I re-read it like twenty million times. I like fast paced novels but this seemed a little too fast.

So, the rest of the story is Maggie trying to figure out what happened. She blacked out on the trail and was in shock the first quarter of the book. Then there's a phone call that happened between Joey and his BFF that no one knew took places so that catapults the search for the reason why stuff happened.

I'm not going to be mean like I was in my review of Fever and spoil it, because it was a good ending, again, just not my kind of book. Even though you'd think it would be!


You Might Also Like

0 comments