Friday's Five (1)

By 12:47 AM , , , , ,




Friday's Five is a new meme hosted by Steph over a Steph's Stacks. It's the time of the week where five of your favorite books are featured and given some love!

If you know me, you know I LOVE John Green.  So for my first Friday Five, or should I say four, I'll be featuring my four favorite stories by him (I'm doing all his novels because they are truly my favorites of them all)!




1) Looking for Alaska: Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words–and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the “Great Perhaps.” Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

The somewhat autobiographical tones that Green gives in this book mixed with tradgey and emotions that one would never want to feel, are a perfect blend that I crave for in  a book, which, outside my fantasy realm, is why this is one of my absolute favorite books.

2) Paper Towns:
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life–dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge–he follows.After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues–and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

I love Paper Towns because the adventure Margo unintentionally makes Q go on. It's a really great discovering yourself book/ road trip book I've read in a long while.



 3) An Abundance of Katherines: When it comes to relationships, everyone has a type. Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. He has dated–and been dum ped by–19 Katherines. In the wake of The K-19 Debacle, Colin–an anagram-obsessed washed-up child prodigy–heads out on a road trip with his overweight, Judge Judy- loving friend Hassan. With 10,000 dollars in his pocket and a feral hog on his trail, Colin is on a mission to prove a mathematical theorem he hopes will predict the future of any relationship (and conceivably win the girl).

Never have I laughed so hard at a piece of fiction in my life! It's a truly geeky book from beginning to end! It has footnotes and an equation to predict whether or not Colin's next girlfriend a Katherine!!!


4) Will Grayson, Will Grayson:  One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Co-written with David Leviathan, this book is for anyone who has doubt about them self that doesn't really need it, and to let them know they are loved no matter what!! It's my feel good book. That and the character of Tiny Cooper is literary genius!!!

(All excerpts are from John Green's official website http://johngreenbooks.com)



So those are my first 'five' I promise next week there will be five!

What are yours?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Wow! Great picks! I have Looking for Alaska in my To Be read pile, now I'm going to have to bump it up. An Abundance of Katherines sound great. Looks like three more books are going on the ol' wishlist!

    Thanks for joining us for Friday's Five. Can't wait to see what you come up with next week!

    Steph
    Steph's Stacks

    ReplyDelete